By Steven Seidman
- Responds to present matters, debates, and new social movements
- Reviews sociological thought from a modern perspective
- Reveals how the common theorist and the period of rival faculties has been changed through networks of clustered debates which are quite 'autonomous' and interdisciplinary
- Features updates and in-depth discussions of the latest clustered debates in social theory—intimacy, postcolonial nationalism, and the idea that of 'the other'
- Challenges social scientists to resume their dedication to the real ethical and political position social wisdom performs in public life
- Accompanied via a spouse site for college kids at www.wiley.com/go/seidman that includes bankruptcy outlines and important internet hyperlinks; an teacher website is also accessed which positive factors password-protected PowerPoint educating slides
Read or Download Contested Knowledge: Social Theory Today PDF
Best sociology books
This publication expands the discourse in addition to the character of serious statement on technology fiction, speculative fiction and futurism – literary and cinematic via Black writers. the diversity of themes contain the next: black superheroes; matters and subject matters in chosen works by way of Octavia Butler; chosen paintings of Nalo Hopkinson; the utopian and dystopian impulse within the paintings of W.
This is often a massive account of the improvement of the ‘field-theory’ technique within the social sciences. Harald Mey concentrates at the writers from the Thirties to the current day who've used this method of the examine of the person and of society, and provides a transparent exposition of such ‘field-theory’ program in its many differing varieties.
Mystery and personal corporations, within the type of Greek-letter firms, mutual relief societies, and civic orders, jointly own a storied and often-romanticized position in pop culture. whereas a lot has been made from those teams’ glamorous origins and influence—such because the Freemasons’ genesis in King Solomon’s temple or the assumption within the Illuminati’s regulate of contemporary geo-politics—few have explicitly tested the function of race and ethnicity in organizing and perpetuating those cloistered orders.
Now released through SAGE, this scholarly textual content covers the 1st 100 years of sociological theorizing, from 1830-1930, focusing totally on Comte, Spencer, Marx, Weber, Simmel, Durkheim, and Mead. The textual content offers an in-depth exam of those early sociological theorists with biographical heritage, research of key works, significant impacts, serious insights, and likewise solutions the query, "What do those rules let us know in regards to the uncomplicated forces that form the social global?
Extra resources for Contested Knowledge: Social Theory Today
Contested Knowledge: Social Theory Today by Steven Seidman